Friday, February 04, 2005

Excuses Excuses

From: Marisa [mailto:marisa@university.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 4:07 PM
To: Professor XXXX [mailto:XX.XX@university.edu]
Subject: Original Piece

Dear Professor XXXX,

I will be unable to submit my 10 page original work by the 5pm deadline today. Due to extenuating circumstances, I am requesting an extension.

Approximately 5:00 pm on Tuesday night, I felt chills up and down my spine. I blacked out. The next thing I remember is my Residence Assistant looking into my eyes worriedly. I asked her what time it was, and she said it was 3:30 PM on Friday. You can imagine my surprise.

I apparently was possessed by the ghost of Ernest Hemingway. It is believed that he was inspired by the prompt, and used my earthly being to house him as a means to write again. When my neighbors discovered me eating Saltine crackers and muttering about the sea, at first they thought nothing. But as I began snarling at passers by on Thursday evening, they contacted my RA, who in turn, contacted a priest. After several grueling hours of exhorcism, they were able to compel the spirit from my body.

I turned on my computer to discover I had completed the assignment, but you can see my concern. Sumbitting the work of Ernest Hemingway would be nothing short of plagairism, and I would feel terrible about this.

Please let me know.

-Student

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my - do you really think your prof would believe this? I mean, really, if *I* were Ernest and I managed to possess the body of a young hottie...ahem...I would have things other than writing that great novel on my mind!!! You should have chosen Emily or Jane or some other *female* author! Then again, maybe they told lies their whole life and were themselves actually lesbians. Well, your prof wouldn't know that either way. :-D

~ Jon

2/05/2005 10:16:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I get the sense that you're not being entirely...

earnest.

2/06/2005 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger GyangBang said...

Wasn't Hemingway gay? As a matter of fact, aren't ALL great authors gay? Yeah I think thats what my AP English teacher taught me :)

2/13/2005 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home